Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
Sometimes I feel my art is so sporadic.  In way I guess It is.  I worry that I don't have a brand/style that people can identify me with. Except for lots of color!  lol! 

I just have such a hard time sticking with one thing for so long.  Try as I might, I can't help but branch out into new areas sometimes.  Just when I think I have a style nailed down that I like, it changes again!  And that's what happened with this piece. 

It all started with a canvas full of leftover paint from my last painting.  I got tired of wasting the last bit of paint on my palette everyday, and finally got smart and put it on canvas.  Instant background people!  Why didn't I think of that before? 

Then I started making a bunch of nonsense marks and designs thinking I was still adding to the background.  Ha!  Most of it ended up staying.  That's the bits you see on the sides.  I like how it kind of frames the painting. 

So, during the creation of this piece I listened exclusively to my Monty Python Sings CD.  Which is why I named it "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life".  That's the first song on the CD, and as I was putting paint down I thought how fitting it was. This piece couldn't get any brighter!  

There are little Monty Python influences through out the painting actually.  A little boat appeared on the bottom, which can also be a foot if you are of the lucky few who see an elephant in the piece like I do.  Anyway I was listening to the  Accountancy Song when that boat appeared so of course I kept it.  You know the song right?  Sailing on the Wide Accountant Seas... Needless to say things got a bit goofy, and this painting emerged. 

I really had a lot of fun with it, and now I'm working on a "Cougar" in the same fashion.  Wait til you see him, another Monty Python inspired painting.  Oy Vey!


1 comment:

  1. Lovely post Michele, thanks for sharing your process and so nice to see someone who works with the same bright palette as me!!

    ReplyDelete